- Phone FAWNA on 0438 526 660 or the DBCA Wildcare Helpline on (08) 9474 9055.
- Note the location, time of day and condition of the animal where you found it.
- Follow the advice from the call centre operator. They will put you in touch with the nearest wildlife rehabilitator that can take the animal into care.
- Contain the animal securely so that it does not injure itself further or injure you – use a towel or similar to pick it up and place in a secure, well ventilated box in a quiet, dark place. Do not feed the animal or give it water unless you have been advised to do so.
- Be careful of teeth, claws, beaks etc. when approaching and handling wildlife. Injured animals can be very dangerous when frightened or stressed.
If you have found a non-native or domestic animal that is injured or in trouble, contact the RSPCA on 1300 777 222 or your local council/shire.